The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. Articles What Do Collision and Uninsured Motorist Insurance Cover?

What Do Collision and Uninsured Motorist Insurance Cover?

By Christopher Hoffmann  Feb. 20, 2018 9:17a

In the state of Missouri, anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car is legally obligated to carry a minimal insurance policy in the event that they are in a car accident. The required minimum insurance policy that a driver must carry is called “liability insurance.” Liability insurance will cover the other driver’s injuries and damages. It will also cover the at-fault driver’s injuries, but it will not cover any property damage.

When you decide how much insurance coverage to take out, it is imperative that you take into consideration all the potential things that can happen when you are out on the road. If you only take out liability insurance and your car is significantly damaged, then you will be generally be responsible for paying for what is done to your car. If the car is totaled, that can leave you without a car and in a financial bind. Even if the repairs are minor, that can still put a huge dent in your monthly budget.

What Is Collision Insurance?

Collision insurance is not mandatory in the state of Missouri, but you might want to consider adding it to your auto insurance coverage. Collision insurance covers you in case you are in an accident and you are at fault. It covers the property damage done to your car. If you have a car that is either leased or that you still owe money on, collision insurance is often required.

If you have a significantly older car, then it might not make sense to take out collision insurance. But weighing the cost of adding collision insurance against what you might stand to lose if you damage your car is a smart move to make.

Uninsured Motorist Insurance Coverage

Although it is mandatory to carry insurance to drive in Missouri, that doesn’t mean that everyone does. If you are in an accident with someone who is not carrying insurance, then you might be out of luck. Although your injuries will usually be covered by your own insurance, often your car’s damages will become your responsibility.

Uninsured motorist insurance coverage is an additional coverage that you can add to your policy in case you are in an accident with someone who is uninsured and is at fault for the accident. It typically doesn’t add that much additional cost to your bill, so you might want to consider adding it to your policy to make sure you aren’t left vulnerable.

Although it is only mandatory to have liability insurance in Missouri, there are times when adding more coverage might be a smart financial move to ensure that you aren’t left vulnerable if you are in an accident. If you’ve been in an accident and are having issues settling the claim, it’s a good idea to speak to a car accident attorney to review your case.

The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C.
7751 Carondelet Ave #601
St. Louis, MO 63105

Call 24/7 for a FREE Case Evaluation :: (314) 361-4242

Other Recent Articles

Who Is Liable If Someone Else Crashes Your Car?

What happens when your car gets crashed, but you weren't behind the wheel? Are you responsible for another person's actions and can be held liable?
More Articles »

Why You Should Never Leave The Scene Of A Car Crash

A car accident can cause emotions to cloud people’s judgment. At that particular moment, it may seem like the best thing to do is to leave the scene and get yourself as far as possible from the ...
More Articles »

How Will My St. Louis Car Injury Case Play Out?

So you’ve been the victim of a St. Louis car accident, suffered injuries and property damages, and want to make the party responsible pay for the harm they caused you. You may expect to have to go to ...
More Articles »
(314) 361-4242
7751 Carondelet Ave #601
St. Louis, MO 63105

Main Website:
View Website
Contact our office by email or phone instantly by clicking the options below: